CAT 2012 Description
Common Admission Test 2012 (CAT 2012) is an all-India test conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), and considered to be the most prestigious B-schools of India. Students who want to pursue Post Graduate level Management Degree from world renowned IIM’s takes this test. Performance in Common Admission Test 2012 (CAT 2012), followed by Group Discussions and Personal Interviews, serves as the basis for admission. Apart from the IIM's, a candidate can take admission in many other business schools with a CAT 2012 score. CAT 2012 is a computer based online test of multiple-choice based with roughly one-fourth negative-mark penalties for wrong answers, and traditionally comprises three sections that span the domains of arithmetical problem solving, geometry, statistics, data interpretation, logical reasoning, and English language skills.
CAT 2012 Contact Details
|Test Period||Common Admission Test (CAT 2012) is generally held in Month of November|
|This Year Date||Not Announced|
CAT 2012 Conducting Body
CAT 2012 is conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) for admission to various levels of management courses like MBA, PGDM etc.
CAT 2012 Eligibility
- The candidate must hold a Bachelors Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in case of the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Differently Abled (DA)categories], awarded by any of the Universities, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
- The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate in the bachelors degree would be calculated based on the practice followed by the university/institution from where the candidate has obtained the degree. In case the candidates are awarded grades/CGPA instead of marks, the conversion of grades/CGPA to percentage of marks would be based on the procedure certified by the university/ institution from where they have obtained the bachelor's degree. In case the university/ institution does not have any scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidates CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA and multiplying the result with 100.
- Candidates appearing for the final year of bachelors degree/equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply.
- IIMs may verify eligibility at various stages of the selection process, the details of which are provided at Selection Process of IIMs.
- Prospective candidates must maintain a valid and unique email account throughout the selection process.
CAT 2012 Exam Pattern
- From the year 2009, CAT 2012 is conducted online as Computer Based Test (CBT).
- The duration of the test is 2 hours and 30 minutes including initial 15 minute tutorial.
- No breaks will be given during the test.
- There are a total of three sections in the test and consists questions that evaluate a candidate's quantitative, verbal, and logical data interpretation abilities. There will be about 60 questions in the test.
- There is negative marking and one fourth marks is deducted for wrong answers.
CAT 2012 Courses
- IIM Ahmedabad- (PGP, PGP-ABM and PGP-PMP)
- IIM Bangalore- (PGP, PGSEM and PGPPM)
- IIM Calcutta- (PGP-PGDM and PGP PGDCM)
- IIM Indore- (PGP and EPGP)
- IIM Kozhikode- (PGP)
- IIM Lucknow- (PGP and PGPABM)
- IIM Shillong- (PGP)
- IIM Raipur-(PGP)
- IIM Ranchi-(MBA)
- IIM Rohtak-(PGP)
CAT 2012 Fees Details
Candidates can purchase CAT 2012 forms and brouchers from the selected Axis bank by paying 1400/- .
CAT 2012 Extra Information
If you belong to SC or ST categories, your caste/tribe must be listed in the Government of India schedule. The caste certificate that you send to IIM should be in the Government approved format and should clearly state: (a) Name of your caste/tribe; (b) Whether you belong to Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe; (c) District and the State or Union Territory of your ordinary residence; and (d) the appropriate Government of India schedule under which your caste/tribe is approved by it as Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe. A copy of the certificate must be sent to CAT 2012 Centre, C/O Admissions Office, Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow, Prabandh Nagar, Off Sitapur Road, Lucknow – 226013. Mention the Voucher Serial Number on the certificate. Failure to produce a copy of the caste certificate will result in the rejection of your CAT 2012 registration.
The caste certificate must be shown and a photocopy enclosed at the time of interviews. Moreover, the caste certificate must be submitted at the time of joining programmes of any of the IIMs.
If you belong to the Non-Creamy Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC), you must produce the NC-OBC certificate duly signed by competent authority and enclose its photocopy at the time of interviews. Moreover, the certificate must be submitted at the time of joining programmes of any of the IIMs. Failure to do so during the post CAT 2012 selection process will result in you not being considered under the reserved category.
If you belong to Differently Abled (DA) Category, a copy of the DA certificate must be sent to CAT 2012 Centre, C/O Admissions Office, Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow, Prabandh Nagar, Off Sitapur Road, Lucknow – 226013. Mention the Voucher Serial Number on the DA certificate. Failure to produce a copy of the DA certificate will result in the rejection of your CAT 2012 registration. The DA certificate must be shown and a photocopy enclosed at the time of interviews. Moreover, the DA certificate must be submitted at the time of joining programmes of any of the IIMs.
CAT 2012 Syllabus
Following topics have greater importance: Ratios and Proportion, Ratios, Percentages, Profit and Loss, Averages, Percentages, Partnership, Time-Speed-Distance, Work and time, Number system, HCF, LCM, Geometric Progression, Arithmetic progression, Arithmetic mean, Geometric mean , Harmonic mean, Median, Mode, Number Base System, BODMAS,Alligation Mixtures, Work, Pipes and Cisterns, Simple Interest,Compound Interest, Installment Payments, Clocks, Calendar,
Following topics have greater importance: In-equations , Quadratic and linear equations, functions, Logarithm Geometry, Mensuration and solid Geometry, Geometry (Lines, angles, Triangles, Spheres, Rectangles, Cube, Cone etc),Mensuration, Co-ordinate geometry.
Other Mathematical Topics:
Set Theory, Venn Diagram, Probability, Permutations, Combinations,Binomial Expansion, Maxima-Minima Progression, Surds-Indices and Complex numbers, etc.
Data Interpretation based on text, Data Interpretation based on graphs and tables. Graphs can be Column,graphs, Bar Graphs, Line charts, Pie Chart, Graphs representing Area, Venn Diagram, Data Sufficiency etc.
Questions from these topics are asked, Critical reasoning, Visual reasoning, Assumption-Premise-Conclusion, Assertion and reasons, Statements and assumptions, identifying valid inferences , identifying Strong arguments and Weak arguments, Statements and conclusions, Cause and Effect, Identifying Probably true, Probably false, definitely true, definitely false kind of statement, Linear arrangements, Matrix arrangements, Puzzles, Family tree problem , Symbol Based problems, Coding and decoding , Sequencing , identifying next number in series etc.
Candidates should have sound knowledge of the following topics: Comprehension of passage, Verbal Reasoning, Syllogisms , Contextual usage, Analogies, Antonyms, Fill In the Blanks, Jumbled paragraphs with 4 or 5 sentences, Foreign language words used in English, Sentence completion, Sentence correction, odd man out, idioms, one word substitution, Different usage of same word, Errors in word choice, mania & phobia, Incorrect words, Mood, Conditionals & Multiple Usage , Punctuation, Proverb, Phrasal verb etc.
CAT 2012 Dates
Dates for Common Admission Test (CAT) 2011 yet to be announced.
These are dates of Common Admission Test (CAT) 2010
- Sale of CAT Vouchers :
Monday, 30 August 2010 - Monday, 4 October 2010
- Registration for CAT 2010 :
Monday, 30 August 2010 - Thursday, 7 October 2010
- CAT Test Dates :
Wednesday, 27 October 2010 - Wednesday, 24 November 2010
- CAT Result :
Wednesday 12 January 2011
CAT 2012 Related Information
CAT 2012 - Common Admission Test 2012 | CAT 2012 Eligibiltiy Criteria | CAT 2012 Dates | CAT 2012 Application Procedure | CAT 2012 Admissions | CAT 2012 Fess | CAT 2012 Colleges | CAT 2012 Exam Centers | CAT 2012 Online Form | CAT 2012 Dates | CAT 2012 Preparation Tips | CAT 2012 Notifications | CAT 2012 Question Papers | CAT 2012 Sample Papers | CAT 2012 Model Question Papers | CAT 2012 Study Material | CAT 2012 Results | CAT 2012 Exam Results | CAT 2012 Exam Schedule | CAT 2012 Paper Schedule | CAT 2012 in India | CAT 2012 Application Form | CAT 2012 Syllabus | CAT 2012 Details | CAT 2012 Exam Details | CAT 2012 Question Papers with Answers | CAT 2012 Question Bank | CAT 2012 Mock Test | CAT 2012 Answer Keys | CAT 2012 Timings | CAT 2012 Exam Duration | List of colleges accepting CAT 2012 score