GATE 2012 Description
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2012 (GATE 2012), is an all India examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, on behalf of the National Coordinating Board - GATE 2012, Ministry of Human Resources Development. The test is meant for admission into various Postgraduate Programmes in Engineering/Technology/Science/Pharmacy/Architecture offered by several institutes/universities. Some foreign universities have indicated their interest in GATE 2012 qualified candidates. GATE 2012 qualified candidates in the engineering disciplines are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship in CSIR Laboratories.
GATE 2012 Contact Details
|Test Period||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2012) is generally held in Online: Month of January / Offline: Month of February|
|Last Year Date||Online Test: 30-January-2011
|This Year Date||Not Announced|
GATE 2012 Conducting Body
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2012 (GATE 2012) is an all India examination administered and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordination Board - GATE 2012, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
GATE 2012 Eligibility
- Bachelor degree holders in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
- Master degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/ Technology or in the third or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master degree programme and Dual Degree programme in Engineering/ Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by IE(I), AMICE(I) by the Institute of Civil Engineers (India)-ICE(I)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
GATE 2012 Exam Pattern
- The GATE 2012 examination consists of a single paper of 3 hours duration.
- There are 65 questions carrying a maximum of 100 marks.
- The question paper consists of only multiple choice objective questions.
- Each question has four choices for the answer.
- The candidates will have to mark the correct choice on an Optical Response Sheet (ORS) by darkening the appropriate bubble against each question.
- There is negative marking and incorrect answers carry negative marks
GATE 2012 Courses
- Master of Technology (M Tech)
- Master of Architecture (M.Arch)
- Master of Engineering (ME)
- Ph.D/ Doctorate
- Master of Pharmacy (M. Pharm)
- Post Graduation Diploma in management (PGDM)
GATE 2012 Fees Details
The Online application fee is Rs. 800 for General/OBC Category candidates and Rs. 400 for SC/ST/PD(Physical Disabled) Category candidates. The Offline application fee is Rs. 1000 for General/OBC Category candidates and Rs. 500 for SC/ST/PD Category candidates. The application fee is non-refundable.
GATE 2012 Extra Information
There are two different ways by which a candidate can apply/register for GATE 2012 2011, namely, Online and Offline. The preferred mode of application submission process is Online. Details for applying Online and Offline are available on the websites of zonal administering institutes given below. Details of the process for applying Offline are also given in Section 5 of this brochure. The Online application fee is Rs. 800 for General/OBC Category candidates and Rs. 400 for SC/ ST/PD* Category candidates. The Offline application fee is Rs. 1000 for General/OBC Category candidates and Rs. 500 for SC/ST/PD* Category candidates. The application fee is non-refundable.
What is New in GATE 2012 2011 ?
ONLINE Examination in Two Additional Papers
In GATE 2012, the papers with codes (Mining Engineering) MN and Textile Engineering (TF) had ONLINE examination. In GATE 2012, two
additional papers (Aero Space Engineering) AE and (Geology and Geophysics) GG will also have ONLINE examination. The ONLINE examination will be
conducted in two sessions on Sunday, January 30, 2011. The ONLINE examination in GG and TF will be
held in the forenoon session from 09.00 hrs to 12.00 hrs. The ONLINE examination in AE and MN will
be held in the afternoon session from 14.00 hrs to 17.00 hrs.
Numerical Answer Type Questions in AE and TF Papers
In AE and TF papers, the question paper will consist of 60 questions of multiple choice type and 5
questions of numerical answer type. For multiple choice type questions, each question will have four
choices for the answer. For numerical answer type questions, each question will have a number as the
answer and choices will not be given.
OFFLINE Examination in Two Sessions
In GATE 2012 2011, the OFFLINE examination will be conducted in two sessions on Sunday, February 13,
The OFFLINE examination in AR, BT, CE, CH, CS, ME, PH and PI papers will be held in the
forenoon session from 09.00 hrs to 12.00 hrs. The OFFLINE examination in AG, CY, EC, EE, IN, MA,
MT, XE and XL will be held in the afternoon session from 14.00 hrs to 17.00 hrs.
Food Technology Section in both XE and XL Papers
In GATE 2012 2011, Food Technology will be introduced as an optional section in XL paper also. The
structure for Food Technology section in XL paper will be the same as the structure of the other optional
sections in XL paper. The structure for Food Technology section in XE paper will be the same as the
structure of the other optional sections in XE paper. The syllabus for the Food Technology section in
XE and XL papers is the same.
GATE 2012 Syllabus
GATE 2012 2011 results declared! Check your result now.
Topics in Mathematics
1. SETS, RELATIONS AND FUNCTIONS
2. COMPLEX NUMBERS AND QUADRATIC EQUATIONS
3. MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS
4. PERMUTATIONS AND COMBINATIONS
5. MATHEMATICAL INDUCTION
6. BINOMIAL THEOREM AND ITS SIMPLE APPLICATIONS
7. SEQUENCES AND SERIES
8. LIMIT, CONTINUITY AND DIFFERENTIABILITY
9. INTEGRAL CALCULUS
10. Differential Equations
11. CO-ORDINATE GEOMETRY
12. Three Dimensional Geometry
13. Vector Algebra
14. STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY
16. MATHEMATICAL REASONING
Topics in Physics
1. PHYSICS AND MEASUREMENT
3. LAWS OF MOTION
4. WORK, ENERGY AND POWER
5. ROTATIONAL MOTION
7. PROPERTIES OF SOLIDS AND LIQUIDS
9. KINETIC THEORY OF GASES
10. OSCILLATIONS AND WAVES
12. CURRENT ELECTRICITY
13. MAGNETIC EFFECTS OF CURRENT AND MAGNETISM
14. ELECTROMAGNETIC INDUCTION AND ALTERNATING CURRENTS
15. ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES
17. DUAL NATURE OF MATTER AND RADIATION
18. ATOMS AND NUCLEI
19. ELECTRONIC DEVICES
20. COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS
Topics in Chemistry
1. Some Basic concepts IN CHEMISTRY
2. States of Matter
3. Atomic Structure
4. Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
5. CHEMICAL THERMODYNAMICS
8. REDOX REACTIONS AND ELECTROCHEMISTRY
9. CHEMICAL KINETICS
10. SURFACE CHEMISTRY
11. CLASSIFICATON OF ELEMENTS AND PERIODICITY IN PROPERTIES
12. GENERAL PRINCIPLES AND PROCESSES OF ISOLATION OF METALS
14. BLOCK ELEMENTS (ALKALI AND ALKALINE EARTH METALS)
15. P - BLOCK ELEMENTS: Group - 13 to Group 18 Elements
16. d - and f - BLOCK ELEMENTS
17. CO-ORDINATION COMPOUNDS
18. ENVIRONMENTAL CHEMISTRY
19. Purification and Characterization of Organic Compounds
20. SOME BASIC PRINCIPLES OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
22. Organic Compounds Containing Halogens
23. Organic compounds containing Oxygen
24. Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen
26. Bio Molecules
27. Chemistry in everyday life
GATE 2012 Dates
GATE 2011 results declared! Check your result now.
These are dates of Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- Issue of Application Form Offline,
21st September, 2010
- Issue of Application Form Online,
21st September, 2010
- Last date getting Application Form from Bank counters
27th October, 2010
- Last date getting Application Form from GATE offices
29th October, 2010
- Last date to submit Application Form online
27th October, 2010
- Last date to submit Application Form Offline
31st January, 2011
- Last date to get Admit Card online
20 January, 2011
- Last date to get Admit Card offline
31st January, 2011
- GATE online examination for paper (GG & TF)
30th January, 2011(09:00Hrs to 12:00hrs)
- GATE online examination for paper (AE & MN)
30th January, 2011 (14:00Hrs to 17:00Hrs)
- GATE offline exam for paper (AR, BT, CE, CH, CS, ME, PH &PI)
13th February, 2011 (09:00Hrs to 12:00Hrs)
- GATE offline exam for paper (AG, CG, EC, EE, IN, MA, MT, XE & XL)
13th February, 2011 (14:00Hrs to 17:00Hrs)
- Announces of GATE result
15th March, 2011
GATE 2012 Related Information
GATE 2012 - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2012 | GATE 2012 Eligibiltiy Criteria | GATE 2012 Dates | GATE 2012 Application Procedure | GATE 2012 Admissions | GATE 2012 Fess | GATE 2012 Colleges | GATE 2012 Exam Centers | GATE 2012 Online Form | GATE 2012 Dates | GATE 2012 Preparation Tips | GATE 2012 Notifications | GATE 2012 Question Papers | GATE 2012 Sample Papers | GATE 2012 Model Question Papers | GATE 2012 Study Material | GATE 2012 Results | GATE 2012 Exam Results | GATE 2012 Exam Schedule | GATE 2012 Paper Schedule | GATE 2012 in India | GATE 2012 Application Form | GATE 2012 Syllabus | GATE 2012 Details | GATE 2012 Exam Details | GATE 2012 Question Papers with Answers | GATE 2012 Question Bank | GATE 2012 Mock Test | GATE 2012 Answer Keys | GATE 2012 Timings | GATE 2012 Exam Duration | List of colleges accepting GATE 2012 score