The National Institute of Fashion Technology is a dream of an individual who has real zest and zeal to achieve their goal to be a triumphant designer. NIFT welcome Individuals with a positive orientation, people who are proactive and wish to impact the society at large. This is leading design institute of India that offers Bachelor's in Design (B Des) and Master's in Design (M Des).Before becoming one of the creative soul of NIFT to color their imagination they have to pass through rigorous process of admission.
NIFT organizes entrance exam for short listing candidates based on their performance for its different available programs. Besides, in order to seek admission in undergraduate designing programs, the candidates are required to appear in separate Situation Test. Weight age of 20% is given to Situation Test. Group Discussion & Interview is conducted for admission into postgraduate programs. Equal weight age of 10% is given to both. 0.25 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer in objective type questions.
NIFT Entrance Examination Pattern
Candidates will undergo a Creative Ability Test and a General Ability Test for the design programs to apply for Bachelor’s Program in Design (Fashion Communication, Knitwear Design, Textile Design, Accessory Design, Leather Design and Fashion Design) and Master of Design. Students applying for Bachelor of Fashion Technology in Apparel Production, Master of Fashion Management and Master of Fashion Technology will undergo a Managerial Ability test and General Ability Test.
General Ability Test (GAT)
The General Ability Test (GAT) includes questions under the sub-heading Quantitative Ability, Communication Ability, English Comprehension, Business Domain Test (only for Bachelor program in Design) and Analytical Ability.
- In order to prepare for Quantitative Ability section, the candidates can practice questions on Algebra, Profit & Loss, Percentage, Rate of Interest, Distance, Work, Ratio and Proportion, and Geometry etc. of matric level along with Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Probability, Differential Equations, Statistics, and Fundamentals of Computer Applications etc. topics studied by the candidates at 10+2 level for undergraduate test and at graduation level for postgraduate program.
- For Communication Ability, the candidates can study synonyms, words with corresponding meanings, antonyms, singular, plural, one word substitutes, correct spellings, idioms and phrases, etc.
- Business Domain section consists of questions, which tests the knowledge and awareness of the candidate about the Fashion Industry, Designers, etc. textiles, apparel industry, import and export sectors, WTO issues related to textiles, apparel brands, etc.
- Logical Ability – the section aims to evaluate the candidate’s ability to identify the logic or reason involved in a particular problem given and applying the logic in solving the problem. Concepts and practice of creative and lateral thinking are likely to be useful.
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs (for bachelors and masters programmes in technology & management programs) – This test is designed to test the candidates general knowledge and current affairs.
GAT exam carries 40% weight in Bachelor’s Program in Design, Master of Design, Master of Fashion Management and Master of Fashion Technology and 60% in Bachelor of Fashion Technology in Apparel Production.
Creative Ability Test (CAT)
The Creative Ability Test (CAT) contains questions to test the skill, power of observation, innovation and design ability of the candidate. Usage of color and illustration by the aspirant plays a significant role. Students need to have the knowledge of basic illustration skills, like proportions, light & shade etc., which helps them in their visualization and representation skills. The paper has a total score of 100 marks and is the most crucial and important paper for one to get through the next stage of the selection process. Two most important things that CAT exam asks for are perspective and aesthetics.CAT exam carries 40% weight both in Bachelor’s Program in Design and Master of Design.
Managerial Ability Test (MAT)
Managerial Ability Test (MAT) is conducted to test the managerial effectiveness and interpersonal skills of the candidates. The test consists of a case study, Business Domain Test and Logical Ability. Weight age of this exam is 40% in Bachelor of Fashion Technology in Apparel Production, Master of Fashion Management and Master of Fashion Technology.
- Case Study: This sub-test is based on a situation of an industry environment. It helps to evaluate the candidate’s managerial ability.
- Logical Ability: This sub-test is aimed to evaluate the candidate’s ability to identify the logic or reason involved in a particular problem given and applying the logic in solving the problem. Concepts and practice of creative and lateral thinking are likely to be useful.
- Business Domain Test : It is to judge the knowledge of a candidate on fundamentals of textiles, apparel industry, import and export sectors, WTO issues related to textiles, apparel brands, etc.
Shortlisted candidates from the written entrance examination are required to undergo a Situation Test which is a hands-on test to evaluate the candidate's skills for material handling and innovative ability in a given situation with a given set of materials. You are judged on the basis of your aesthetic appeal, creative and clever manipulation of given materials and an appropriate theme. It is advisable to spend first 10-15minutes of the given time in thinking and drawing a rough sketch of your idea. Decide what is to be done first and what at last. Also carry some stationeries along with you like-pair of scissors, paper cutter, sharpened pencils, compass, fevicol with nosel, quick-fix, blue/black ball point pen, sand paper etc. All you have to do is to put the given material such as : tape, wiring, straws, paper, cardboard, ribbons, play dough, etc together and make a three dimensional structure based on the given question. It is very easy but your design should be sensible and it should be different and eye-catching. Make sure your structure stands erect and doesn’t easily topple off, so give it a strong base if that is the case. This exam carries 20% weight in Bachelor’s Program in Design.
Case Study based Group Discussions for Management and Technology shortlisted candidates:
This is a final stage of selection procedure for Master Programs. GD has 10% weight age in all the Master Programs. Group Discussions would entail a discussion comprising of approximately 15 to 20 minutes of discussion on a case study given on which a panel of experts will assess the candidates on the following parameters:
- Conceptual clarity
- Knowledge of the topic assigned
- Contribution made on the topic to the group
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to generate new ideas
- Problem solving approach
- Leadership qualities
- Effective communication
Personal Interview for Management and Technology shortlisted candidates:
A candidate is judged on the various parameters as listed below:
- Career orientation
- Aptness for the field
- Overall personality traits
- Overall personal achievements in academics and co-curricular activities
- General awareness and aptitude
Prepare well whole heatedly to feel your life in future in NIFT: The first choice of every designer!